Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Session 1 (pre-reading)

How common do you believe the act of revenge is in everyday life? Write about specific incidents, including any in which you were involved or have witnessed.

I think that "an eye for an eye" is rooted in many people's ideals today. Revenge is fairly common to a certain degree. It seems most fights at school occur because of this viewpoint and it tends to get people in trouble. Revenge is now justified by saying the victim had it coming, or they deserve it. I believe that in no circumstance is it ok for someone to act on those ideas, no matter the reason.

Nevertheless, it's hard to maintain clear thinking when you're angry. When someone does something to you it's become natural to want to get revenge. Keeping those feeling in check becomes difficult.

Revenge, I think, becomes easier to witness to in the case of siblings. Living with people tends to bring out the worst in others, and that's probably the main problem with siblings. Fights break out, tempers rise and rash decisions are made. I've been in the middle of situation like these often. My sister and I have gotten mad enough to resort to revenge. The rarely end well, but we've never done horrible things to each other.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is true, and a lot of our fights at our school are also because of egos, and they feel embarrassed of what another person did to them, so they heal the pain, with unnecessary acts of revenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly, I agree with your entry. I blogged about the same topic and included many of the same ideas. Revenge is a common thing especially in high school and you can see traces of it often. I liked your use of the quote "an eye for an eye" it's such a well known quote that dates back years ago and you can see that the attitude of people towards mean behavior hasn't changed.

    ReplyDelete